Welcome to part 1 of a 2 part double feature with a literal Grand Master of Photography – Paul Hoelen!
There were two big topics that I wanted to ask Paul about, each one warranting it's own dedicated episode… And when Paul agreed to talk about both I couldn't pass up such a great opportunity!
So this episode is dedicated to mental health in the arts, and how photography can be used to affect positive change in peoples lives – something Paul has 20 years of first hand experience of with his involvement with the incredible Men With Heart project.
Check out the Men With Heart project at menwithheart.com.au while you listen along to the episode.
Part 2 of this double-feature is coming up in a couple of days in episode 16, where we talk about the power of photography in conservation.
Many thanks to Paul who is an absolute legend. He gives us so much to think about in this episode and I'm sure you'll agree.
MenWithHeart.com.au – Find out more and view the image gallery of the wonderful Men With Heart project.
Talking Landscape Photography – Subscribe to Paul's YouTube channel and tune in Live on 28th October 2020 to the panel discussion on mental health in photography and the arts.
TheLightCollective.com.au – Check out Paul's collaborative group The Light Collective to see images from their thought provoking galleries and books highlighting the conservational issues affecting Australias landscapes.
Paul Hoelen & Adam Williams TEDx Talk “The Power Of Art To Influence”
- What does it mean to be a grand master of photography in Australia and New Zealand?
- How competitions can play a role in your career
- Diversifying your skillset and what you can offer as a photographer
- Where do photography trends originate?
- Men with heart – a 20 year photographic project that might have never seen the light of day
- Promoting healthy masculinity in Australia
- Owning your issues, talking and exploring how to become better men
- The level and depth of intimacy over 20 years and bringing it to the world in a touring exhibition, to support and inspire the wider community
- Curating and distilling 20-25,000 photos down to 45
- Dissolving stereotypes and flipping the script on vulnerability
- The effects the Men With Heart body of work has on women
- The power a photo has to shift your perception of yourself and the perception of people around you
- What happens when photographers and creative artists let their guard down online and share their struggles
- How we use photography as a positive outlet for our mental wellbeing
Paul Hoelen on Instagram
Luminosity Masking Panel for Photoshop – Designed and developed by Steve Arnold to make luminosity masking quicker, easier, and more effective. Podcast listeners receive a 45% discount!